what Is Gerd? Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
Overview of GER
GER stands for Gastroesophageal Reflux which is one kind of behaviour, happens in the stomach that is the contents gets leak or reflux backwards, which move upwards to the esophagus or mouth.
The other names for GER:
- Acid reflux.
- Acid indigestion.
- Acid Regurgitation.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease
Gastroesophageal Reflux, which is otherwise called as Acid Reflux. Reflux without acid is quite normal and common for all peoples with good health conditions like infants,children,teens and adults, where as the reflux which contains the stomach acid through means it is bad to the throat and damage happens which leads to the heartburn and also indigestion. It is otherwise called as
- Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease.
- Gastric Reflux Disease.
- Approximately 20% of people in the United States are affected.
- Hospitals are increased to 216% percentage between the year 1998 and 2005.
How it causes:
Commonly everyone eats food that passes from throat to stomach via the esophagus that is tube like structure and made up of muscle fibers.The muscle fibers which helps to prevent the food eaten doesn’t goes backwards are called as Lower oesophageal sphincter LES.
There is an action, which the muscle fibers perform like shrink and expand to allow the food to go inside stomach this action is called as peristalsis. The LES prevents the acid that does not come to the esophagus which the acid in stomach helps for digestion.
Due to the continuous process of action when the LES gets weaken and some stomach problems, the content comes reverse to the esophagus it is rarely happens. Due to this acid reflux cause, the damage happens in throat.
Medical and common causes :
- Over eating habits.
- Increase in the BMI Body Mass Index which raise the pressure on abdomen due to obesity, pregnancy.
- Due to high calcium level in blood also increase the gastrin and which provide a way to acidity level raise.
- Smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Scleroderma and systemic sclerosis.
- Use of painkillers for other diseases.
- Hiatal hernia, which is also one major, cause by separate the abdominal cavity and chest then the stomach which move above the diaphragm.
Signs and Symptoms Of GERD :
- Stomach pain that is in the upper abdomen.
- Chest pain with burning sensation feel.
- Dysphagia, which means difficulties in, swallow the food.
- Gets food stuck on eating or swallowing.
- Odynophagia called as pain on the time of swallow.
- Throat sore, which is in persistent condition.
- During the morning wake with the sensation of choking feel.
- Feeling of acid in the throat.
- Bad breath and the teeth disease like decay.
- Respiratory and wheezing problems.
When to seek doctor help :
If the condition continues and does not improve after the counter medication and even in the diet change.
Following are the severe symptoms that are considered as an emergency and it is a wake-up call to seek a doctor.
- Vomit in large amount.
- Color of vomits is green and yellow.
- Forceful vomiting.
- Breathing problems such as unable to breath.
- Bleeding in vomit.
- Unusual Weight loss, which is not explainable one.
Diagnosis on GERD :
The following are the diagnostic methods are performed over the patients or persons who affected
Endoscopy : This is the method by passing the tube into the throat via esophagus to stomach and collect the samples of tissue for biopsy.
Oesophageal monitor : A way of measuring the acid levels in Esophagus for a day.
Manometry : It is to measure the pressure level of oesophageal at the moment of swallow.
X-Rays : An upper GI series x-rays used with helps of this latest equipment allow the patient to drink the barium solution to find the abnormal behaviours like ulcers and hiatal hernias.
Treatment For Gerd :
It is based on the condition of person if he or she. Suppose the patient in beginning condition the doctor told them by change in the living style and has to modify. Then in mild condition, they are guide to take the medicines. The severe symptoms patient who can go to the surgery after the doctor diagnose.
Based on the severe symptoms the treatments are in three types:
- Lifestyle Behaviour changes.
- Over the counter and follow medicine prescription.
Lifestyle Behaviour changes:
- Make a plan in weight loss.
- Raise your bed area of head position to little bit high.
- Avoid inhale of smoke being reside with smokers (Active smokers), which is called as passive smokers and quit smoking.
- Maintain the healthy weight.
- Wear clothes with comfortable or lose fittings in the abdomen. Avoid the tighten clothes wearing especially in stomach and abdomen.
- Eat food before 3 hours when you go to bed for sleep in night.
- After night dinner make gentle walk which gives good sleep and improves digestion as well.
- Eat small amount and light food items, avoid spicy and huge amount of food items.
- Foods to avoid such as Fat content food products, Citrus fruits, Coffee and beverages.
- Follow the diet, which is advised by the doctor whom you consulted. If you not aware of it go and seek and get tips which helps to improve your health.
Over the counter and follow medicine prescription :
In recent days peoples are quite often buy the medicine without the doctor prescription based on the mild symptoms that they gets affected. It’s somewhat acceptable but if the symptoms which will not cure or persistent with you means, you must definitely seeks the doctor advice and help.
Doctors recommended medications are
Antacids : which relieve heartburn.
H2 Blockers : The acid producing in the stomach are reduced and gives temporary relief.
proton pump inhibitors PPI : PPI lowers the acid level in stomach and it is also recommended for treating then,which cures or heal the damaged esophagus tube. It takes an long time for treatment.
Prokinetics : It helps to empty the stomach in faster way.
Anitibiotics: which helps to empty the stomach fastly.
Gerd Surgery :
The surgery way of treatment are for the people or patient only those who does not gets improvement by the life style changes and also the medicines which does not cure.
The surgeries are
Fundoplication : It is performed by the help of laparoscope device.
Endoscopic techniques : It is done by radio frequency and endoscopic sewing.